Minimum altitudes for free flying are those considered in SERA 5005, section f, for VFR (Visual Flight Rules), December 2018 document, namely:
- f) Except when necessary for take-off or landing, or except by permission from the competent authority, a VFR flight shall not be flown:
(1) Over congested areas of cities,towns or settlements or over an open-air assembly of persons at a height less than 300 m (1 000 ft) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 600 m from the aircraft;
(2) Elsewhere than as specified in (1), at a height less than 150 m (500 ft) above the ground or water, or 150 m (500 ft) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 150 m (500 ft) from the aircraft.
In addition to the previous paragraph, Spanish airspace authority (ENAIRE) establishes the following specifications:
- Item (2): Elsewhere than as specified in (1), at a height less than 50m (150 ft) above the ground or water…
- The following VFR operations will be allowed under the altitudes established in SERA:
Hot-Air Balloon activities, model airplanes, RPAS (remotely piloting aircraft system), ultralight aircrafts and gliders in soaring as long as they don’t entail any risk or annoyance to people or goods on the ground.
Finally, free flying is not allowed in controlled airspace areas. Extensive information on the subject can be found on the INSIGNIA website:
If you come to fly to Spain you can locate the flying site on this map and learn about the restrictions if necessary.
This post is also available in: Spanish